Re: Tunnel-to-NAT scenario

Iljitsch,

In my opinion, it's an open question whether tunneling is a better approach than translation for this use case (IPv4 clients connecting to IPv4 servers through an IPv6 network). Doing the work in softwires de facto answers that question through process rather than consensus.
Softwires have been told that they shall employ tunneling to cross the v6-only cloud. The NAT that I mentioned comes only after this; its almost completely a separate component (except for the fact that you need to know which tunnel interface packets came on to deal with overlapping RFC1918 space at the customer sites).

I hope no one is no longer arguing that we should do a double NAT. I think that would be wrong because tunneling ensures that your IPv4 traffic is as intact as possible. Yes, it may eventually get NATted, but I do not want to create technology that forces you to do it no matter what is at the other end. For instance, with a tunnel-based crossing of the v6-only cloud customers sites that have public IPv4 space will not see any NAT effects.

Jari