Re: Home network topology

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:11:24 +1300
Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2008-03-12 08:48, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > For instance, 6to4rd is now proposing that only a /64 be assigned to a given
> > customer. If we expect the home to be fully bridged, that's fine. Otherwise,
> > there's going to be an interesting problem.
>
> Why do you think we originally recommended /48 for all SOHO customers,
> with some recent pressure to accept /56 as well? Clearly prefix delegation
> has to be automated, though.
>
> Bridging is bound to fail, if we see non-802 networks in the home.

To add a datapoint to this, the fairly recently formed Routing Over Low
power and Lossy networks (roll) working group seem to be focusing some
of these and similar issues for what would typically be non-802
networks in the home and other environments.

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/roll-charter.html

Regards,
Mark.