Re: draft-despres-v6ops-6rd-ipv6-rapid-deployment

On 2008-03-12 07:44, james woodyatt wrote:

> The draft defines a new DHCPv4 option used by 6RD ISP to configure
> 6RD-enabled CPE, i.e. hosts or dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 routers with
> 6RD-tunneling functions.  I very much doubt that getting vendors of
> consumer retail CPE, e.g. host operating systems, consumer routers,
> etc., to adopt this DHCP client feature will be easy.  For that reason,
> I don't expect 6RD to be deployable except with provider-provisioned CPE.

And that is unfortunate, because it will lock customers into
a /64 world until the ISP moves on from 6RD to a real IPv6
deployment, which as just noted on another thread, is a
problem in itself. I sympathise with the goal of rapid deployment,
of course, as long as it doesn't become a dead end.

    Brian