Re: About IPv6 private address

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:59:57 +0800
blue <susan.lan@zyxel.com.tw> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to ask if there's any reserved private IPv6 address? I know
> RFC4193 has defined Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses, which is used
> to replace deprecated site-local address. However, in user's
> perspective, a device will need a well-known address, such as
> 192.168.1.1 in IPv4,

As a minor data point, while 192.168.1.1 is well used, it isn't a well
known address that you can always use. I deal with a few different
pieces of ADSL CPE at work, and on occasion I've also seen
192.168.0/24, 192.168.2/24, and on some occasions, to avoid colliding
with existing nodes already using 192.168. [0-2]/24, it jumps to a
different subnet within 192.168.[0-255] on every boot. For those
devices you have to lookup the default gateway address announced via
DHCP.

Regardless, having the customer type in a name, not an IPv4 or IPv6
address, is far more user friendly.