Re: 6to4 public anycast relay considered a bad think (was Re: 6to4 connectivity test)

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:23:34PM -0500, Alain Durand wrote:
> On 2/1/08 4:56 PM, "Gert Doering" <gert@space.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 03:46:22PM -0500, Alain Durand wrote:
> >> Essentially, expecting to get a functioning 6to4 relay is expecting a free
> >> lunch. Who is going to pay for it?
> >
> > If enough ISPs provide working 6to4 relays, serving their own customers
> > (that pay for the bandwidth, be it IPv4 or IPv4-encapsulated IPv6), the
> > model would work just fine.
>
> Why should ISP X pay to run a 6to4 relay that would in essence offer transit
> for customers of other ISPs?

Why should it, indeed.  If he does not want to do that, nobody forces
him to announce the IPv4 anycast address / 2002::/16 to this other ISP.

> And let's say that ISP X offer the outband
> relay for its customers only, how would the packets come back from the real
> IPv6 Internet to ISP X IPv4 network? Is ISP X suppose to announce a
> de-aggregate of 2002://16? That would create a huge increase in the routing
> table size...

The response is likely to take a different path - independent of "anycast"
or not.  So the response is likely to take a relay that's run by the
ISP (or upstream ISP) of the other end.

If there are enough relays, those are well-maintained and monitored,
and people stop playing political bullshit games, 6to4 could work nicely.

I do have some doubts about the "bullshit" part :(

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  110584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279