Re: 6to4 considered a bad thing

On Feb 1, 2008, at 6:17 PM, james woodyatt wrote:
Why should ISP X pay to run a 6to4 relay that would in essence offer transit
for customers of other ISPs?

No one here is asking for ISP X to advertise its 6to4 relays at public anycast addresses (either IPv4 or IPv6) into the default free zone.

While there may not be demands placed on any ISP to do so, there are a bunch of us who are doing it anyway. Which either is or isn't allowed under RFC3068, depending on who you ask.

Judging by the huge range of emails we've received since announcing 192.88.99.0/24 and 2002::/16 to the world, most ISP's and end user's knowledge of what 6to4 is ranges from "non-existent" to "misinformed". So, it's a pretty safe bet to say that there's a pretty large percentage of ISPs out there that have no current plans to either start their own relay, or make arrangements with someone who does.

So, I don't mind giving up a pretty trivial amount of bandwidth to help v6 adoption along - or at the very least do our part to make sure 6to4 works for who we can.

-- Kevin