Re: 6to4 public anycast relay considered a bad think (was Re: 6to4 connectivity test)

Alain Durand wrote :
> Essentially, expecting to get a functioning 6to4 relay is expecting a free
lunch. Who is going to pay for it?

Agreed.
6to4 was not designed as a general IPv6 deployment tool.
It was, and remains, an effective solution for two IPv6 clouds to communicate across a v4-only infrastructure, without involving ISPs.

The new approach I have been working on, and deployed by the French ISP Free, can combines advantages of 6to4 (simplicity and processing efficiency) with the fact that ISPs that operate relays do it for themselves.

An I-D 00 which describes it should be available in a few days (still under individual revisions).

Rémi