Re: 6to4 using ::FFFF:0000:0000/96 (mail.comcast.net AAAA record weirdness)

On 2008-01-28 09:21, Kevin Day wrote:
> FreeBSD doesn't seem to ever try to send ::ffff:0:0/96 over a 6to4
> connection, which I believe is the correct thing to do. The original
> client shouldn't have used its v6 stack at all when accessing a v4
> mapped address.

That isn't necessarily so. If the client is attempting to reach
a SIIT translator, such as a NAT-PT, the mapped address should
be used, and should be routed to the translator. In that case,
there's no reason that the path to the translator shouldn't start
out as 6to4. IMHO this needs to be a configurable behaviour.
It's unfortunate, to say the least, that mapped addresses have
these two different uses.

> So, I think it's XP not doing the right thing here... XP should be
> selecting its own v4 stack instead of trying to shove packets to
> ::ffff:0:0/96 down 6to4... correct?

It seems to be a matter of taste which is the default.

    Brian