Re: 6to4 using ::FFFF:0000:0000/96 (mail.comcast.net AAAA record weirdness)

1. The RFC on Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6 (RFC 2553)
states in its section 3.7:
<< Applications may use PF_INET6 sockets to open TCP connections to IPv4
   nodes, or send UDP packets to IPv4 nodes, by simply encoding the
   destination's IPv4 address as an IPv4-mapped IPv6 address, and
   passing that address, within a sockaddr_in6 structure, in the
   connect() or sendto() call. >>

IMHO all clients have just to comply, and use their IPv4 stacks when
destinations are mapped addresses.
If XP had done it, no problem would have been identified by Kevin, and
6to4 would not have been in the loop.

2. My previous answer to Kevin and Erik was received by them, but not by
v6ops (apologies for that).
It also contained this comment, which I see as relevant:

 I am very pleased that Kevin came up with this "fascinating" example
which revives the "mapped AAAA" issue.
 As a matter of fact, mapped addresses as IPv6 destinations are IMHO
very useful for the future, as shows an earlier contribution on the
subject:
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2007/msg01031.html

 A particular application of mapped AAAA records is for IPv4-only Web
servers to be reachable by  IPv6-only clients
  - these servers have mapped AAAA in their DNS servers in addition to
their As (feasible manually)
  - these clients are in sites where CPEs support NAT v6-v4  (a fairly
simple software evolution of a v4-v4).

Rémi