RE: More CPE

http://www.consulintel.euro6ix.org/ietf/draft-palet-v6ops-point2point-
> > 01.txt
> >
> > This approach has benefits from both operational and routing
> > aggregation perspectives and it may be taken into account
> by both ISPs
> > and CPEs manufacturers.
>
> I'm personally not against this addressing method, however
> I'm not all that sure that might be a good idea for the
> customers. "Stealing" a /64 out of the customer's /48 creates
> opportunities for the customer to accidently use it on their
> side of the CPE, breaking their external connectivity. This
> probably would only happen occasionally (although as an ISP
> you'd probably want to avoid the first 5, 20 or 100 /64s),
> however when you have 10 000s or 100 000s customers, those
> occasions can start to occur quite often, and those are calls
> your helpdesk has to receive and deal with.

Not sure if that will happen very likely. Most of the residential
users don't know anything about networking, so they just follow the
instructions from their ISPs and/or CPEs. Probably they will have one
only router (the CPE) which in the event this addressing method is a
convention it will prevent the assignment of the WAN /64 to other LAN
port.

In case of advanced users and or network administrators in
enterprises, there's nothing new with this addressing method. Those
users are supposed to be able to manage ip address allocation in the
same way that currently happens with IPv4: if they receive an IPv4 /29
from their ISP, they must be able to know what IP is broadcast, what
the gateway, etc, and not re-use it in the internal network.

> IOW, I think it's easier for all customers to remember, "this
> /48 is mine", verses "this /48 is mine, except that one which
> my ISP assigns, that I'll always have to remember to avoid."
>
> Regards,
> Mark.

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !