Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs to informational

Just a couple of comments on this.

First, we should remember that all this hop count checking is pretty weak
security for protocols that have mechanisms like IPsec and SEND available.
Anyone who sees a packet can mess around with it and resend it wherever
one chooses.

Second, I don't see much benefit to the hop count = 1 trick. If the sender
wants the packet not to be routed, send it to a destination address on the
same segment.

Third, the hop count = 255 trick may have some benefit if routers and
other packet forwarders (we have lots of them in IPv6) are behaving
properly. But remember, for example, that packets from anywhere popping
out an IPv6-in-IPv4 transition mechanism tunnel don't typically get their
hop count decremented, so 255 can mean anything at that point.

Rich Graveman