Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs to informational

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 05:29:53PM -0700, Fred Baker wrote:
> As to my comment on the Hop Limit, I did read the document. It
> states, in several places, that the recommendation is that the Hop
> Limit be set to 255 and tested for still being 255 on receipt. What I
> stated was that I would go at it a different way. If the packet is
> sent with Hop Limit = 1, it cannot pass a compliant router or
> firewall, so there is no need to test for whether it did or didn't.
> My way is, I think, more robust - it depends only on the sender, not
> the sender and the receiver.

Well, actually I tend to disagree.  If you're concerned about security,
you must assume that the sender will do everything possible to break
things - and that way, he will NOT be well-behaved and send out packets
with a TTL of 1.

Making the TTL=255? check on the receiver makes sure that the packet MUST
come from a directly connected host - no matter how ill the intentions of
the sender.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  92315

SpaceNet AG                    Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14      Tel : +49-89-32356-0
D- 80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-234