RE: Question on DS-TE (solution) draft: How can I prevent preempt ion of a connection ?

Sanjay and all,

At 13:32 17/12/2001 -0500, Choudhury, Sanjaya wrote:

>Hi Francois! After you think through the problem (and
>possible solutions), will it be possible for you to
>post another revision of the DS-TE draft (including
>the examples in Appendix) ?

Yep, that's the plan.

>It will also be helpful,
>if you can give us rough time frame for the next
>rev.

I'd like to post something first half of January.

>Some more thoughts on the next rev. of DS-TE ...
>1. It will be nice to include a section on the Preemption
>    in the context of DS-TE .

2.2.1 and 2.2.2 talk about preemption in the context of DS-TE. They will
need to be updated to reflect our SLC agreement that we should allow
different CTs to use the same preemption.
The objective of the preemption section is to (i) not redefine preemption
and (ii) just clarify how it plays in the context of DS-TE. With this in
mind (and taking into account the update mentioned just before), what would
you suggest we add?

>2. Where does holding priority fit in this scheme ? Is this
>    still a useful construct ?

Could we keep holding priority?:
I believe it is possible to maintain the concept of hold vs setup priority
when extending TE to DSTE. In the case od DS-TE, network administrator
could use different setup and hold priorities for a given LSP, but both of
those cannot just be any 8 values: they can only be one of the values
allowed for the LSP's CT.
Will need to write it down to make sure it can indeed all work fine.

Is holding priority useful?:
I've done some very initial probing about that. My first impression is that
while use of a different hold priority from setup priority is not very
commonly used in current TE deployments, it is something that SPs quite
like because it could help stabilise the network if this turns out to be
useful.
So my first impression is that it would be premature to dismiss the concept
of hold priority altogether.

>3. TE-Class: Should the term be "Bandwidth Class/Pool" (
>    defined by a set of BW constraints & priority )?

need to rethink about "TE-class" in light of hold priority discussion above.

>4. Is the term ClassType (== identifies a set of bandwidth
>    constraint), redundant ?

I don't think CT is redundant. we'll see when the TE-class definition firms up.

Thanks for your probing and input.

Francois