RE: reminder: things todo in august and shortly thereafter

Tricci,

The basic problem here is that there is no relationship between a given
traffic instance's up-state QoS forwarding treatment requirement and its
survivabilty requirement post-failure.  To me at least, this seems to be a
fundamantal problem with much of the DS/pre-emption discussion I have seen
so far.

For public service offerings the above is not so much of a problem *for a
given QoS/DS class type*, ie here we have common aggregation of traffic to
whatever the QoS/survivability design the operator has deigned suitable.
However, it seems an intractable problem for VPNs *if* one simply aggregates
on a like-DS class basis across all VPNs and ignores relative survivability
requirements between different VPNs.  In such a case then on failure how
does one know what fraction of what VPN gets access to the remaining
resource?  Further, the surviving traffic will be a function of what % of
which DS classes are active at the time of failure, ie this is
non-deterministic on a per VPN basis.  You cannot therefore simply allocate
survivability on some EF vs AFxy vs BE basis....hopefully this is obvious,
but to ram home the point consider this example:
-	in a single VPN the 'sales' team may have mission critical voice and
incidental data traffic, but the 'engineering' team may have opposite
requirements.  In both cases voice has to go EF class to meet jitter
requirements *whilst the network suffers no resource reduction*, but on
failure we may want to dump the 'sales' team's data traffic and we may want
dump the 'engineering' team's voice traffic to make sure the mission
critical voice/data traffic survives.

And now what about just simply comparing two different VPNs, ie a coarser
level of survivability comparison?  Maybe one VPN customer has a very high
survivability requirement (which is irrespective of his/her QoS traffic
needs) compared to another customer....so how can I, as an operator,
differentiate the SLAs in these 2 cases?

The only way to satisfactorily address these issue to to hard partition the
VPN reources on a per VPN basis (for the 2nd point above) and also to
indicate (again perhaps by recursive LSP BW partitioning, though I could
envisage other means) the relative survivability between traffic instances
within a single VPN (for the 1st point above).  Also note in the 1st point,
that the only person able to properly associate a survivability requirement
for a given traffic instance within a given VPN is the customer.  So this is
a customer-controlled policy issue.  The 2nd point is a network operator
controlled policy issue, but in this case only looking across the population
of VPNs on a relative VPN basis.....and not on a (within VPN) per traffic
instance basis.

Clearly the 1st step here is to at least get the 2nd point right.  It seems
this could be done by using a mechanism like ER/signalled LSPs with some
effective BW envelope instead of LDP LSPs as the server LSP layer for VPNs.
Ok its looks like traditional L2 VPNs but so what?....there is no free-lunch
here.

Now let's look at the pre-emption issue.  Not sure there is real benefit
from this.  Why?  Because at low traffic loads there is no issue anyway, and
at high traffic loads (when it should be earning its keep) our experience of
these mechansisms in the past has shown a very small 'predicatable' (sic)
operating region......things can get out of hand very quickly if you allow
multiple pre-emtion/bumping classes, ie a single failure can result in
multiple failures as traffic is bumped/restored across several priority
classes as the failure event ripples out from it's epicentre.  Those who
like the idea of multiple-class pre-emption/bumping should go ahead and try
it for themselves.  We would want to be able to disable any such schemes and
would just require a relative survivability indicator (ie to indicate the
priority of access to resource post-failure).  Further, and for the reasons
given previously, these would be orthogonal behavioural requirements to QoS
considerations.

regards, Neil