Re: Draft-ietf-tewg-diff-te-reqts-01.txt

--*** Requirements Draft ***----

Well, here's my perspective on this section.  In effect, it states that
the network should perform in a way that I would like.  However I think
that it is a bit too structural, and mechanistic, for my tastes.

So rewording that whole section (2.5), I'd suggest

   "A source LSR only sets up an LSP if bandwidth appears available
    along the path at that class.  An intermediate node along the path
    accepts the LSP if the required bandwidth is available at this
    class. This may cause preemption as allowed through local
    configuration or default behavior, though this can not be
    pre-determined from remote hosts such as the source LSR".

If you look in the Scenarios in Section 1, a lot of the functionality
spelled out in Section 2 might be a bit over spelled out, with this
section and class-types and inter-class-type premption rules being one
example.

Folks have posted to the list that there is no reason to preempt across
class-types, and insist that class-types follow some strict pecking order
of preemptability (and their classes thus fall in line between these).

Here's an example where you might want the bandwidth of one "class-type"
to preempt that in another.  Say you have two class-types, call them VPN-A
and VPN-B.  In each, they run "working" LSPs at priority 2 and "protect"
LSPs at 4.  In this case, you might not want the protect LSPs of VPN-A to
preempt the working ones of VPN-B, in fact you'd probably like the working
LSPs of VPN-B to preempt the protect LSPs in VPN-A.  Of course
technically you could consider this as four classes as well.

--*** Fade to draft-boyle-tewg-ds-nop-00.txt ***---

In case you were wondering exactly how one might create a similar
solution with my draft..  Pick four "priorities" at random, X1, X2,
X3, X4 (say {7,2,1,4}) Now as a matter of network policy.  VPN-A
working -> X1 = 7, VPN-A protect -> X2 = 2, VPN-B working -> X3 = 1,
VPN-B protect -> X4 = 4 (of course in practice one could use something
more intuitive and aligned with a default behavior).  On the routers,
state that the max-bandwidth per link is Y (e.g. "600 Mbs", "2.5 Gbs",
etc..)  and that Y - X1 - X3 >= 0 and Y - X1 - X2 - X3 - X4 >= 0 (see
draft for better config suggestions, e.g. groupings).  Now each router
will advertise what is available at X1, X2, X3, X4.  When one has an
LSP to setup, just check the topology at that priority and set it up.

Jim