RE: QoS in Shared Media

Title: RE: QoS in Shared Media

Just a nit-pick.
I agree with your thoughts on inability to guarantee QoS without control in multi-access shared media.
However, 802.5 and FDDI LANs are multiple access and can be run in modes where you can provide guaranteed deadlines (and not shared media). I am referring to Synchronous Bandwith allocation and Timed token protocol. You cannot do this is shared Ethernet.

Token ring and FDDI are like Baby Boomers - they had their time ;)

badri