Re: Examples of ASN.1 for SMIng.txt

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, David T. Perkins wrote:

> HI,
>
> Would you clarify the following...

I am not as intimate with the "Triglia proposal" as Alessandro, nor as
familiar with the terminology that you guys are using (e.g., I assume that
by "language extension" you mean the constructs that were introduced in
ASN.1 after 1988).  Keeping this in mind, my response ...

> 1) has the "Triglia proposal" has defined a "new" language using the
>    language extension features of ASN.1:1998 (yes/no)?

Yes.

> 2) does this new language include some language constructs from
>    ASN.1:1998 (yes/no)?

Yes.

> 3) does this new language limit the portions of "unextended"
>    ASN.1:1998 that can be used (yes/no)?

No.  However, if needed, it can be resticted by normative text the same as
was done with SNMP.  Alternatively, formal notation can be used to impose
such restriction, but I suspect that the SNMP approach is sufficient.

> 4) does this new language limit the language extension features
>    of ASN.1:1998 (yes/no)?

Yes.  Note that there is no need to define additional "information object
classes".

Bancroft Scott                               Toll Free    :1-888-OSS-ASN1
OSS Nokalva                                  International:1-732-302-0750
baos@oss.com                                 Tech Support :1-732-302-9669 x-1
1-732-302-9669 x-200                         Fax          :1-732-302-0023
http://www.oss.com