Re: Examples of ASN.1 for SMIng.txt

Andy Bierman wrote:

> I don't know if others feel this way, but to me, the fact that
> SMIv2 is derived from ASN.1 is irrelevant. The syntax is what it
> is, and I learned SMIv2 without ever learning ASN.1.

Put it the other way round: Without ever leaning ASN.1, you've learned a
big part of it anyway. So you're ready to take ASN.1 as the language for
SMIng ;-)

> So the fact that there is a 'better' ASN.1 out there is
> also irrelevant to me.

Are you saying that you don't mind using a flawed notation or at least a
notation that is not the best one? Are you saying that you don't mind
burdening the future by keeping away of a powerful technology?

I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit rude (but John Larmouth has been before
me when he wrote that "ASN.1 was not born in the right world"! -- and
please Andy don't take this as an attack against you):
I've not yet seen a good argument against ASN.1. IMO most of the remarks
seem to be along the lines of "We don't want ASN.1 because it is ASN.1".
I honestly hope it is not the case. I don't want to be considered as a
zealot, I just want the contribution to be validated against the
requirements with real/good technical arguments.
--
Olivier DUBUISSON
france telecom R&D