Re: Examples of ASN.1 for SMIng.txt

At 04:06 PM 12/5/2001, Frank Strauss wrote:
>Hi!
>
>>> I want to replace the associated tables data model with a
>>> data model that allows complex aggregation and containment,
>>> among other things.
>
>John> That is a good and worthy remark.  Do any of the current
>John> proposals get near to doing that?  I have seen none on the list
>John> that seem to do that.  ([...rest censored...;-)])
>
>Complex types and containment are mandatory requirements and they are
>also addressed by the NMRG-based proposal. However, the NMRG-based
>proposal does not intend to affect the table-based semantics of all
>the SNMP and COPS-PR based implementations of existing and future MIBs.
>In my opinion, this would be far beyond the scope of the SMING WG.

I don't agree. I think the use of "associated tables" is a very
limited and flawed data model.  I can come up with simple algorithms
to convert SMIv2 to SMI-DS and SMI-DS to SMIv2. SMI-DS objects can root
under a different portion of the MIB tree to make it easy for
implementations to handle both data models and both naming schemes.

I tried to make SMIv2 numbering work for SMI-DS, but it's
important to be able to represent the containment in the
naming, and it's critical to provide stable naming that
doesn't require any renumbering if new attributes are added
to an embedded data structure.  SMIv2 naming can't do that.

>Andy, did you get any feedback on your according email with the
>subject `Naming Scheme(s)'? Did you talk to COPS-PR/SPPI people
>about this proposal?

No and Yes.

> -frank

Andy