Re: #5 namespace control

Hi!

David> Isn't IANA a centrally controlled namespace for standard named items?

Yes, but this is not the relevant question. ;-)
You are relating to the specs statement on issue 5, not to the issue
itself. The current SMIng specifications proposal does not propose to
use any IANA controlled namespace.

David> Isn't this a basic requirement of SMIv2?

I don't think so. But maybe, I'm wrong. What kind of information do
you think of? I think we should carefully differentiate between the
data modelling language and the information being modeled. Subject of
our discussion is the first (with the goal to make the latter less
painful). There are some cases where specific information is modeled
by SMIv2 mechanisms that are controlled by the IANA, e.g. the
IANAifType-MIB or the IANA-LANGUAGE-MIB. But the fact that these MIBs
can be maintained by the IANA is not a feature of the SMIv2.

 -frank