Re: #17 Accessibility

HI,

Row creation/deletion is not really part of the SMI except for
the status of read-create. Otherwise, the SMI is blissfully
ignorant of creation and deletion. You may claim that the
RowStatus TC makes creation and deletion part a fundamental
feature. If so, I disagree, since the SMI does not require
one to use the RowStatus TC for creation/deletion and
when RowStatus is used, there is nothing special about the
table and columns that use it.

On status accessible-for-notify, this is a status value whose usage
and interpretation has been twisted since its creation and
is abused in almost every case where it is used. It increases
the difficulty of testing, and can easily result in errors
that show up only during exceptional situations.

At 03:13 PM 4/18/2001 -0400, David Harrington wrote:
>Motivation: Row creation/deletion is a fundamental feature of SMIv2 and
>is required for backward compatibility and interoperability.
>Accessible-for-notify is a feature of SMIv2 and must be supported for
>backwards compatibility and interoperability.
>
>David Harrington            Network Management Standards Architect

Regards,
/david t. perkins