The language

HI,

There is a small but important change in the words used in the SMI
documents and the SMIng documents that needs to be corrected.

The SMI documents define the language for writing SNMP MIB modules.
The language is not given a name. The language IS NOT SMI!

The SMIng documents modify the text taken from the SMI documents
to read that the language defined in the SMIng documents is SMIng.

I believe that this is VERY confusing and an appropriate name
should be chosen for the new language. This language is used
to specify object-oriented data definitions of various kinds
of management information. The language, at least currently,
has a base, and extensions for variations, such as the one
defined for SNMP. So, given its usage, maybe the following
name should be used for the language:
Management Information Object-oriented Data Definition Language
or MIOD for the base language and MIODS for supporting SNMP and
MIODC for supporting COPS.

I'm sure the creative people on this list can come up with
easier to pronounce or cuter names than me.

Regards,
/david t. perkins