RE: Issue: Treatment of null Identity Response

Jari Arkko writes...

> Well, if its a "string" in RADIUS terminology then its
> really an octet string in more general terminology, and
> implementations already have to support embedded  00s.

Agreed, but see below.

> To me the CUI function is more of a binary handle
> than a printable string. But I'm not sure if others agree.

It is defined as a cookie, opaque to all but the issuer (home AAA
server), so it could be a RADIUS "string" type (binary string).  I
surmise that the reason that a UTF-8 printable string type was specified
has to do with ease of debugging (human readable characters in the
packet trace).

I don't think it matters very much.  If it is to be UTF-8, then it
should be a RADIUS "text" type, and if it's to be binary, we should
remove the reference to UTF-8.