AW: [Geopriv] RE: Review of draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo-04.txt

hi john,

> The inclusion of the "entity" field reintroduces the problem we had
> with the initial draft, which is that no practical mechanism has been
> identified through which the NAS would know the location of the host
> attempting attachment.

i wonder why you believe that these mechanisms are not available today.
a number of other people have already provided you with references to
existing products.
let me add two links that explain how location determination works in a
wlan environment:
http://www.tkn.tu-berlin.de/publications/papers/hoene_paper2.pdf
http://www.tkn.tu-berlin.de/publications/papers/tkn_04_16_paper3.pdf
(there are certainly more papers about this subject available and i
guess i do not again need to mention 3g networks.)

i have a question for you: you are the co-author of rfc 3825. now,
consider the discussions we have in the emergency context (in geopriv &
ecrit) and the idea to provide location information using dhcp to the
end host for inclusion into an emergency call. do you think that there
is a relationship between the location of the dhcp server/dhcp relay and
the location of the end host?

> Rather than prolong the illusion, it would be better to
> eliminate this
> field and let the location attribute refer to the location of the NAS.

ciao
hannes