RE: Comments on draft-carroll-dynmobileip-cdma-04.txt

Jari Arkko <mailto:jari.arkko@piuha.net> supposedly scribbled:

> Frank Quick wrote:
>
>> And I think "is not consistent with" is entirely accurate, if
perhaps
>> less blunt.  If the purpose is to inform the reader, rather than
>> punish the authors, then the less blunt wording should be
sufficient.
>> I'd also accept "not compliant with" if you prefer.
>
> I have some sympathy for this. Its excellent if we agree about the
> technical part of the note (or will come to an agreement at
least).
> But the note should not "punish the authors". Lets use less
> emotionally charged words, "violate" may not be very good. But "is
> not consistent" doesn't quite do the job for me either. Perhaps
"not
> compliant with RFC XXXX" is the right, objective expression here.

I'm a little confused here: we have Dave trying to give the benefit
of the doubt, assigning this to ignorance, Avi saying "no, it was
deliberate", and Jari wishing to avoid "punishing the authors".
What's so "emotionally charged" and/or punitive about the word
"violate"?  Three definitions:

violate

v 1: fail to agree with; be in violation of; as of rules or
patterns; "This sentence violates the rules of syntax" [syn: go
against, break] [ant: conform to]

Main Entry: vi·o·late
Pronunciation: 'vI-&-"lAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Forms: -lat·ed; -lat·ing
: to go against (as a prohibition or principle) : fail to observe or
respect <violate a law> <civil rights were violated> <violate due
process>

Violate

To break or disregard (a law or promise, for example).

All of these definitions seem to state rather precisely what has
happened here (intentionally, if Avi is correct).  Perhaps the
authors expect to be praised for disregarding IETF standards?

> --Jari

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by
simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel