Re: Proposal: Capabilities Attribute

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 01:25:36PM -0500, Avi Lior wrote:

> Interms of justification. There have been at least three features in front
> of us the require that the home server know whether or not the NAS supports
> a particular capability.  Prepaid, CUI, Bandwidth.
>
> Just to be clear it's not a bit per attribute but rater a bit (or two) per
> subcapabilites.  The authors of a capability will determine which are the
> subcapabilities of their feature.  Obviously we can do this for existing
> capabilities.

I was arguing for the simplest scheme that solves otherwise-painful
problems.  To me, that's a bit per *attribute*.

I was more urgently arguing for fewer options in feature support.  To
paraphrase Yoda, "Support, or do not support.  There is no partial."
Consider the code and the testing effort implied by a need to handle
interacting combinations of subfeatures.

Regards,
Barney