RE: QoS attributes

Hi Farooq,

I will give you a real usecase in DSL/Cable systems that we are involved
with.

A user wants to download a movie from a content provider.  The Operator
offers a service whereby the user can extend his bandwidth for a period of
time for a fee.  This is called bandwidth on demand or BOD.  This is done
using two mechanisms: either by pressing a "turbo" button or by going to a
website.  In either case, the system validates that the subscriber is
allowed to request for more bandwidth, if so it then checks to see what is
available (not in scope for RADIUS but there are ways to do this), and
grants the user the bandwidth by sending the network element a RADIUS CoA
message (RFC 3576) instructing the device to open up the user's pipe.  All
of this is done mid-session.

This was an example where the user has initiated the request.  A similar
scenario can happen when the Content Provider can request that the user's
pipe be opened for a period of time.

Finally, there are examples that we are exploring now where a new IP flow is
requested mid session and the QoS has to be negotiated.  RADIUS is involved
because RADIUS know who the subscriber is and what the subscriber is
allowed.  Other elements are involved such as a Policy Decision Function
(PDF) as well.  Still trying to figure out the details for this one.

But I hope that this gave you an insight that shows that these things need
to be addressed mid session as well as at the start of the session.