RE: QoS attributes

Hi Avi,

Most of the QoS sensitive services / applications have their own control
plane and corresponding protocols e.g. SIP, RTSP etc are used for
multimeida sessions and streaming. The QoS / bandwidth requirements etc.
are exchanged through them as part of session setup / modification and
in my opinion it is this control plane that should then be responsible
for informing the QoS enforcement point of the need for a specific QoS /
bandwidth for a specific service session. In many cases the enforcement
point may not actually be informed about it directly and the services
can for example do diffserv / bit coloring. The enforcement point will
however have to ensure that the request from a particular user for QoS
for certain service session does not fall outside the access network
capability or the user's QoS profile provided by the home network.

In the example that you gave, I would be quite surprised if operators
have such tight admission control whereby they can guarantee certain
minimum bandwidth for the last mile on a per user basis. I however think
average bandwidth to certain user can be achieved if the user was
classified for example as gold user who can if needed prioritize its
traffic by bit coloring  and therefore can have higher allowed average
bandwidth. That I believe can be done by just downloading user QoS
profile initially (that for example allows bit coloring from this user
to be honored in the access network) and later allowing applications to
use DSCP (no control protocol needed in this case).

Therefore I still think RADIUS QoS / bandwidth attribute is somewhat
static information to be used to define the overall bounds for a user -
the QoS individual for services has to be within these bounds but RADIUS
is not in the path of negotiating QoS for the services.

Regards

Farooq