Is UML an option for the IETF?

In regard to Tom's suggestion that UML be used to  describe the

Is it possible to use UML  without graphics support?  And if not,
can we justifiably use it as the IETF method of description.
Personally, I am getting comfortable  with UML when using UML drawing
packages (e.g. Rose).  But I find it  very uncomfortable to use with
ascii characters.  As far as I can tell UML is totally implementation
dependent; i.e. if you can't draw it, you  can't express it.

Is there a way around this problem?  Other by writing a graphic UML
to ascii character drawing converter for each UML graphics program?

Avri Doria
+1 401 663 5024