RE: IP network modeling -- use of standards?

Steve,

M.3100 and G.805 are ITU-T recommendations, so they are for sale at
info.itu.ch in "telecommunications standardization" area. Also of interest
will be I.326, which is an extension of G.805 for ATM.

G.805 is a concept doc, not a class library, so it can be understood w/o
having to deal with the modeling languages--GDMO/ASN.1. However, it is very
complex, as it can model infinitely nested subnetworks. On the issue of
class libraries, there are people working right now to harmonize the ones
that have emerged for SONET/SDH and ATM (ATMF M4). I believe you can get M4
documentation at the ATMF site.

M.3100, on the other hand, is a class library totally in GDMO, so it
requires a bit of effort on the languages. It is the so-called "Generic
Model". When anyone uses it to model a new NE, they usually have to add a
small handful of classes to it. I will be really surprised if there is not
someone somewhere who has used it already to model routers. I think it is a
matter of asking around.

Attached is a ppt slide I made 5 years ago of M.3100 which makes it a lot
easier to understand. This is out of date, as the spec has been revised
since then. I believe the G.805 concepts are now more fully represented in
the connectivity-oriented (cross connection/fabric) parts of the model.

Kirk Shrewsbury