RE: Agenda for NETCONF WG session at IETF #71

Phil Shafer wrote:
> - Why aren't/won't application writers moving to NETCONF?
> - Why isn't NETCONF becoming the answer to configuration problems?
> - What's stopping it?

concerning the long wish list I would rather focus on what NETCONF
WG can do.

What NETCONF WG could do is e.g. to prepare a NETCONF BCP
document and provide interoperability reports. IMO this would
increase the level of awareness in the industry and enable also
NETCONF-ignorants to try it. We need to show it is easy to
deploy and cost efficient.

David Harrington wrote:
> > My top 3 issues (also nowhere on the radar):
> >
> >   1) A NETCONF DML for non-modeling-experts, so operators,
engineers,
> >   and IETFers can use NETCONF with ease
> >   2) An access control model
> >   3) A robust, extensible, multi-protocol NM architecture, that
pulls
> >      together NETCONF, CLI, SNMP, SYSLOG, existing MIBs, new
next-gen
> >      MIBs, into a secure and standard API framework.

1) One big enabler for sure we have to develope is the DML.
2) This seemed not to be urgent in the WG discussion. We should
discuss how fast the group wants to proceed with it. However, we
shouldn't block people who are already busy with other work.

<contributor>
3) "A robust, extensible, multi-protocol NM architecture" is just what
want too, but I don't know how to come there. IETF usually does not
develop architectures OTOH we need to define the framework where
the (multi-)protocols have to interoperate.
A vision one can have is a DML which supports the "multi-protocol NM
architecture". The next step would be to model the configuration data
for the different management layers in this architecture by designing
the data model with a top-down approach and by re-using already
available parts.
</contributor>

Cheers,
Mehmet