Re: XSD alternatives

[...]

Ted> What advantages and disadvantages do people see in the different
Ted> approaches?  Which is to be preferred?  Is it desirable to
Ted> restrict modification of the base operations?

I believe your last question is the important one. It is important
to define how much extensibility in the protocol we want/need and
how this should be controlled.

Whether you then prefer a more traditional approach with a sequence
plus any or a more object oriented approach with an abstract base
class where you can add new operations by deriving new classes is more
a stylistic thing and what people prefer probably depends on the
implementation language they actually use (and if they use automated
implementation tools at all).

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany