Re: minutes for NETCONF WG interim meeting (09/03)

Hi -

It's on the road to structure, in my view.  (I also agree with your
comments on the horrors of capability versioning.)

Now, switching from capabilities to object models:

> [In fact, I liked the RDF inspired exercise to view a whole device as
>  a collection of resources where each resource is identified by a URI
>  so the whole instance naming would be based on URIs. I am not
>  suggesting to do this in netconf - but it is an interesting approach
>  to think through. Perhaps this is what you would call "anarchy" since
>  we would no longer dictate how a vendor has to identify its
>  interfaces? But perhaps this is not even bad since we know from
>  experience that getting indexing right is hard and we went to
>  introduce and use contexts in SNMP land for those cases where we
>  screwed up. And contexts per se are rather opaque - I would call
>  that anarchy - not sure that matches your definition.]

I *like* the idea of URI naming for resources.  I think it's an appropriate
amount of structure.  It also happens to mesh nicely with what I wanted
to do with the nm-webdav i-d, if anyone wants to think about configuration
management in the traditional sense of being able to do versioning, etc.

I agree SNMP contexts are at best a necessary evil.  They were
necessitated by the way the SMI combined indexing with class definitions.
I think CMIP got it right in separating the two.  Using URIs would allow
us to do very similar things to what CMIP does with distinguished names,
and I think this would be a very good thing.

Randy