Re: minutes for NETCONF WG interim meeting (09/03)

>> I think the key point is the need for parsing the identifier.  We
>> don't need to parse OIDs.  They are good as global identifiers via
>> decentralized naming authorities.

Randy> That's what they're supposed to be, and how the SMI uses them,
Randy> but that's not how SNMP uses them.  Recall what it takes to
Randy> extract table indexes from object identifiers.  Subagents spend
Randy> much of their time parsing OIDs, and we've heard complaints
Randy> from application writers who wish index objects were accessible
Randy> so they wouldn't have to parse OIDs as frequently.

This thread is about naming capabilities and so the strange way SNMP
uses to name instances does not really apply to this discussion.

Randy> A bystander's comment: This argument about structure
Randy> vs. anarchy for the substance of this protocol seems to recur
Randy> for every element, and the bias (perhaps due to the charter)
Randy> seems to be towards anarchy.  I think this will undercut the
Randy> value of whatever eventual standardization of those elements
Randy> might happen.

Not sure I understand this remark. Are you saying that using URIs
for identifying capabilities is "structure" or "anarchy"?

[In fact, I liked the RDF inspired exercise to view a whole device as
 a collection of resources where each resource is identified by a URI
 so the whole instance naming would be based on URIs. I am not
 suggesting to do this in netconf - but it is an interesting approach
 to think through. Perhaps this is what you would call "anarchy" since
 we would no longer dictate how a vendor has to identify its
 interfaces? But perhaps this is not even bad since we know from
 experience that getting indexing right is hard and we went to
 introduce and use contexts in SNMP land for those cases where we
 screwed up. And contexts per se are rather opaque - I would call
 that anarchy - not sure that matches your definition.]

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany