Re: minutes for NETCONF WG interim meeting (09/03)

At 09:33 AM 10/16/2003, Randy Presuhn wrote:
>Hi -

I was referring to registration OIDs, not MIB object
OIDs which contain instance identifiers.

>> URIs would also serve that purpose well.  But OIDs
>> don't have version numbers.   The group at the interim
>> felt it would be better to provide a distinct version number
>> rather than create a strict URI format that every vendor
>> must use for their own schema and capability definitions.
>>

>> >It should be possible to register a URN namespace for netconf if we
>> >are interested in well controlled names for standardized capabilities.
>
>A bystander's comment:
>This argument about structure vs. anarchy for the substance of this
>protocol seems to recur for every element, and the bias (perhaps
>due to the charter) seems to be towards anarchy.  I think this will
>undercut the value of whatever eventual standardization of those
>elements might happen.

I don't think we are promoting anarchy.
I think we are promoting distinct parameters for
specific semantics, rather than defining a structured
string.

We could have it both ways.  We could have a schema
that exposes both the version string and the URI.  We
can have a standard format for the URI as well.

>Randy

Andy