RE: Separation of protocol and information model

At 09:17 AM 9/4/2003, Allen, Keith wrote:

>Andy Bierman wrote:
>> I think you are confusing operations which are independent
>> of the data model (e.g., lock, checkpoint, rollback, validate,
>> commit) with data-model-specific operations that should be
>> defined in an individual schema (add_bgp_neighbor, add_vlan_to_port).
>
>Actually, since a data model represents the capabilities of a device, I am
>arguing that the lock, checkpoint, rollback, etc. operations are not
>necessarily independent of the device's data model.  Some devices might not
>support all of them.  Some devices might support them at a different
>granularity than you envision.  For example, one device might support
>locking only at the highest level, while another might support more granular
>locking.  If you make the operation a part of the data model, you can
>accommodate both devices with the protocol.  One could allow locking on the
>allowed it on the <interface> elements.
>
>Your assumption that all devices support all the functions exactly as you
>envision may not hold true, and designing the protocol based on those
>assumptions could lead to a protocol that is not very useful.

On the contrary, having common functions performed in a common way
is exactly what will make a standard protocol useful.  The netconf
protocol can actually be extended by vendors (although IMO this
should be discouraged, but this is a feature of XML).  The protocol
contains a set of mandatory (base) functions that every device must
support, and additional (standard and proprietary) functions
identified by some capability.

>Keith Allen
>SBC Labs
>9505 Arboretum Blvd.