RE: Separation of protocol and information model

> Starting with a well understood set of operations and adding more over
> time is IMHO not a bad engineering approach. SNMP's failure was to
> simply not add the required protocol operations (and transports I have
> to add) when it became clear they were needed. I hope netconf will do
> better.
Or maybe the operations should belong to the data model in the first place?
Twisting and hacking (or extension in a more polite way) protocol operations
will yield serious backward compatibility problem.  A version 2.0 of
protocol XML schema will have to work for version 1.0 of protocol XML
schema, and it is going to be complicated and confused.

--

Weijing Chen