Re: Separation of protocol and information model

"Allen, Keith" writes:
>Actually, since a data model represents the capabilities of a device, I am
>arguing that the lock, checkpoint, rollback, etc. operations are not
>necessarily independent of the device's data model.

I think of it this way: the data model for /etc/master.passwd tells
how a unix user looks is represented, the semantics of the fields
and the syntax with which they are formatted.  This is distinct
knowledge from the work vipw has to do to lock, edit, propagate,
and unlock the file containing those fields.  vipw can do it's work
without considering the syntactic or semantic contents of
/etc/master.passwd.  netconf wants to give the same sort of
opaque manipulation for handling network configuration data sets.

Thanks,
 Phil