RE: Separation of protocol and information model

Title: RE: Separation of protocol and information model

Andy wrote:

> I don't know if that's what they are saying, but the list of
> configuration database types is not configurable by the user.
> It is defined by the vendor when the product is designed.
>
> All devices must have a set of current operational configuration
> values (running config).  Some devices require that configuration
> changes are placed in a scratchpad (candidate config) configuration
> and then applied all at once to the running config.  Some devices
> do not overwrite the configuration for the next reboot (startup config)
> automatically, but instead require an explicit action from the user
> to copy the contents of the running config to the startup config.

I know of devices that can have many saved configurations. Each saved configuration is named and the name is configurable at run time (essentially each save config is a file on a disk). How does running, scratchpad, etc. map into this concept?

> Andy

Regards, /gww