RE: Separation of protocol and information model

At 01:18 PM 9/3/2003, Glenn Waters wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>
>> I don't know if that's what they are saying, but the list of
>> configuration database types is not configurable by the user.
>> It is defined by the vendor when the product is designed.
>>
>> All devices must have a set of current operational configuration
>> values (running config).  Some devices require that configuration
>> changes are placed in a scratchpad (candidate config) configuration
>> and then applied all at once to the running config.  Some devices
>> do not overwrite the configuration for the next reboot (startup config)
>> automatically, but instead require an explicit action from the user
>> to copy the contents of the running config to the startup config.
>
>I know of devices that can have many saved configurations. Each saved configuration is named and the name is configurable at run time (essentially each save config is a file on a disk). How does running, scratchpad, etc. map into this concept?

The details for named configurations need to be worked out.
The plan is to add support for named configuration files.
These are not the same as the running or candidate configuration
databases, because they are just blobs of config stored in
a file.  The user cannot do an edit-config on a named configuration
or retrieve a subset of its contents.

Named configuration files can be applied to the running or candidate
configuration databases, using the edit-config command.

>> Andy
>
>Regards, /gww

Andy