RE: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-weijing-netconf-interface-00.txt

Randy does a good job below of answering Andy's first question for me.  I am
not proposing that netconf use anything other than XML Schema to define data
models.  As Randy points out, though, as a data definition language the XML
schema standard doesn't really give us everything we need, so I believe we
will end up defining conventions on the use of XML schema to fill in the
gaps.  This is where the challenge that I spoke of comes in.  For example,
it's important that a data model define what information can be modified and
what can only be read.  The Enns draft defines one convention - that
read-only data be contained in one <state> element in a device's schema,
while draft-weijing proposes that it be identified with an attribute.  If
XML was an object definition language, it would probably define a standard
way of identifying what was readable and what was writable, and we wouldn't
have this problem to solve.

Keith Allen
SBC Labs
9505 Arboretum Blvd.