Re: more on ASN.1 and SOAP

Randy Presuhn writes:
>> From: "Margaret Wasserman" <mrw@windriver.com>
>> I don't really understand what "the proposed new work"
>> actually is...

> To specify how SOAP-based protocols could be encoded
> using more efficient encoding rules, such as BER, PER, etc.

I concur with my co-chair who said that this such work isn't covered
by the current charter, which talks about TEXTUAL representation.

Of course it's good to know that people are working on more wire- (or
otherwise) efficient means of encoding XML-based communication
(whether netconf will be based on SOAP or not).  But let's worry about
this later.

For what it's worth, Streaming IPDR, one of the candidates for the
IPFIX protocol, uses XDR encoding for data structures that are
specified using XML Schema - see http://www.ipdr.org/documents/ipfix/
(note that this is not the protocol that has been selected as a basis
for IPFIX).
--
Simon.
netconf WG co-chair