Re: Dynamic vs Static and Automated vs Interactive

Hunkins, Andrew wrote:

Agreed.  And this raises another point I've wanted to introduce, so
maybe this is the right time...

If we are successful, then the hard coded script writing will have a
very limited role.  Just as with the www and HTML, the HTML is now
almost always *dynamically* generated.  I don't know if this has been
discussed here before but I think it has some important ramifications
for the features and services xmlconf supports.
I don't see anything wrong with this approach. A lot of this is implementation dependant. Whether a device spits the config from a file or from a group of files or from memory is something we've considered a bit. That could be viewed as "dynamic" from the device side. On the other hand, from the application side, it makes perfect sense to abstract away from device specific configuration and generate "dynamic"
XML pages. The difference to me seems to be whether or not you want to introduce caching semantics.

Eliot