Dynamic vs Static and Automated vs Interactive

Agreed.  And this raises another point I've wanted to introduce, so
maybe this is the right time...

If we are successful, then the hard coded script writing will have a
very limited role.  Just as with the www and HTML, the HTML is now
almost always *dynamically* generated.  I don't know if this has been
discussed here before but I think it has some important ramifications
for the features and services xmlconf supports.

As a vendor of the higher level application layers for system
management, I'm all ready to dynamically generate the xmlconf right now.
So I view the CLI script author as a temporary customer... a very highly
skilled individual who should be doing something more productive than
debugging scripts.  Some of the xmlconf model assumes a human user
filling in forms, needing a certain type of feedback, etc.  Which is not
to say it won't work for an automated client app, I'm just saying that
we may be able to get a crisper spec if we drop the real time
interactive session requirement.  Or maybe it's not a requirement but
was not specifically excluded.

Are we willing to further define the xmlconf client app communication as
non-human-interactive?

-Andrew

p.s. I'll send you an off-list note regarding my interest in your
earlier paper.  Thanks!