RE: do we need filtering or some such

Let's use a better example to illustrate the problem not just for
"edit-config", but also for "get-config" (and merge, modify, replace, etc.)

In the following,

  <ospf id="1">
    <area id="2">
      <interface>
          <adminStatus>"up"</adminStaus>
      </interface>
    </area>
  </ospf>

Do we just get all the sub-elements of up interface (status equal "up"), or
do we also get all the other sub-elements of ospf=1, and area=2 if they have
up interface?  With operation as attribute (not target as attribute), we can
have:
  <ospf id="1">
    <area id="2">
      <interface operation="read">
          <adminStatus>"up"</adminStaus>
      </interface>
    </area>
  </ospf>

for just sub-elements of interface.

And
  <ospf id="1">
    <area id="2" operation="read">
      <interface>
          <adminStatus>"up"</adminStaus>
      </interface>
    </area>
  </ospf>

for sub-elements of area=2 with up interface, and so on.

The operation and its intended target need to be clearly stated to avoid
ambiguity.

--

Weijing Chen