RE: Explicit and unique naming of configuration target

We all know that we want a protocol separating from data model.  However,
the Enns draft does imply a specific operation model (backup, running,
validating, global-only manipulation of XML tree, etc).  Not all the device
or system follows the same model.  We are working on a draft that the
protocol should be able to accommodate the different data model: protocol
only specifies the encapsulation envelop and target, the data model will
decide the actual operation.  Some examples are:

Example of perform configuration with XML data schema and XPath:

<perform-request id="09233523-567b" atomic="true"
              xmlns="http://www.ietf.org/mops";
              xmlns:example="http://example.com/schema";>
  <operation id="1"
             target="/root/ospf[@id='1']/area[@id='2']

                     /interface[@id='Ethernet1/5']">
    <example:interface operation="replace">
      <hello-interval>10</hello-interval>
    </example:interface>
  </operation>
  <operation id="2"
             target="/root/ospf[@id='1']/area[@id='2']
                     /interface[@id='Ethernet2/2']">
    <example:interface operation="read">
	<address/>
	<adminStatus/>
    </example:interface>
  </operation>
</perform-request>

Example of perform configuration with XML data schema and no XPath:

<perform-request id="09233523-567b" atomic="true"
              xmlns="http://www.ietf.org/mops";
              xmlns:example="http://example.com/schema";>
  <operation id="1" target="/root">
    <example:ospf id="1">
      <example:area id="2">
        <example:interface id="Ethernet1/5" operation="replace">
          <hello-interval>10</hello-interval>
        </example:interface>
      </example:area>
    </example:ospf>
  </operation>
  <operation id="2" target="/root">
    <example:ospf id="1">
      <example:area id="2">
        <example:interface id="Ethernet2/2" operation="read">
          <address/>
          <adminStatus/>
        </example:interface>
      </example:area>
    </example:ospf>
  </operation>
</perform-request>

Example of perform configuration with no XML data schema (i.e. plain text):

<perform-request id="09233523-567b" atomic="false"
              xmlns="http://www.ietf.org/mops";>
  <operation id="1" select="/root">
    enable
    config terminal