Re: XMLCONF usage guidelines are flaw

Larry Menten <lmenten@lucent.com> writes:

> I have examined the guidelines provided in the
> Enns XMLCONF draft and I believe they
> impose to great a cost on the processing of the
> XML configuration content.  In particular, the
> statement "attributes should contain metadata
> about the element, not true data."  I believe that this
> is a misapplication of XML that results in a cumbersome
> representation that is costly to process.  This in turn
> results in greater development cost and greater cost
> of device resource.

Using attributes requires more state be kept in the parser prior to
being able to do any semantic evaluation, making it more memory
intensive to do incremental processing.  This is primarily because you
can't know what the names are in an element start or empty element tag
until you've reached the closing '>', because namespace attributes can
change what the names mean.

--
Scott Lawrence
  Actively seeking work