RE: WSDL

Title: RE: WSDL

I did not mean to suggest this working group deal with CLI.  CLI is legacy and should stay that way.

> XMLCONF is a proposal to keep the advantages that have made
> CLI successful, while eliminating the serious shortcomings of
> CLI.  It is most likely to be used where CLI is used today --
> at the interface between the NMS/EMS system and the network
> device.

I live and breath configuration management and completely understand the benefits of a device actually having an API.

> There is nothing about XMLCONF that precludes using a WSDL
> based enterprise management system on the application side.
> But, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by the
> "application side", it wouldn't make very much sense to
> standardize that in the IETF.

I am suggesting standardizing the WSDL definition.  This definition could include things such as capabilities, services (routing protocols, QOS...) and their states.  It would also define how a vendor would extend the standard definition.

> Margaret

Brendan