From: Andy Bierman [mailto:abierman@cisco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 4:30 PM
To: Allen, Keith
Cc: xmlconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: WSDL

At 04:06 PM 4/16/2003 -0500, Allen, Keith wrote:

>OK, I'll see the bet and raise the ante. Could you explain succinctly why
we need a new protocol at all? Why instead aren't we defining WSDL messages
for different functions, and then using SOAP bindings and UDDI to solve the
problem?

>regards,
>John
>

>Umm.  Because that would be too easy?

Since it is so easy, how about if you volunteer to create a WSDL
version of the XMLCONF protocol so we can compare the XML messages
that would be used with both approaches? Never mind the transport
issues for now.

It seems to me there are different user communities for the
output of the netconf WG, which don't share the same goals.
One group wants to create lightweight mechanisms that can
be used to leverage existing CLI (training by operators,
code by vendors).  Another group wants to leverage tools
which may already exist for application data exchange,
but are not particularly lightweight or aligned with
existing CLI implementations.

Both are valid positions, and I am concerned that we will
not be able to produce a single solution that is completely
satisfactory to both camps.

Andy

>I must say I asked my question in response to thinking about how we would
go about building applications that would use a NETCONF interface.  It would
be nice to have a WSDL description we could just feed into a web services
toolkit.  WSDL is extensible, though, and should allow us to write a BEEP
binding (much like we would write a SOAP binding), and then use UDDI.  I
just didn't want to be the first one to write a BEEP binding for WSDL.  I
actually sent an e-mail to the chair of the BEEP WG to see if anyone else
has done this.  Then all we would need is a web services toolkit that
supports BEEP.  Keeping my fingers crossed...

>Keith Allen
>
>SBC Technology Resources
>
>9505 Arboretum Blvd.
>
>Austin, TX 78759
>
>(512) 372-5741
>
><mailto:kallen@tri.sbc.com>kallen@tri.sbc.com

WSDL from one person.  If there is enough WG interest in this extra
deliverable, then it could be done by the WG at some point.  It could also
be done separately, outside the WG, as an Informational RFC.

<<http://ops.ietf.org/lists/xmlconf/>http://ops.ietf.org/lists/xmlconf/>