RE: WSDL

Hi Brendan,

At 03:42 PM 4/16/2003 -0600, Brendan Kelly wrote:
Why can't we have both? I would like to see this working group to focus on the application side (possible WSDL). Use the current draft from Rob Enns as the basis for the configuration definition of the WSDL. Let CLI be what it is.
This would be fine, I suppose, if operators were happy with
proprietary CLIs and screen scraping, but they are not.

XMLCONF is a proposal to keep the advantages that have made
CLI successful, while eliminating the serious shortcomings of
CLI.  It is most likely to be used where CLI is used today --
at the interface between the NMS/EMS system and the network
device.

There is nothing about XMLCONF that precludes using a WSDL
based enterprise management system on the application side.
But, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by the
"application side", it wouldn't make very much sense to
standardize that in the IETF.

Margaret